Thursday, August 11, 2016

Sweet Potato Cakes & Curry Couscous Bowl (make from your pantry!)

This is one of those dishes I would categorize as a pantry dish. And it is so yummy!




This is my first go at this mishmash of ingredients and let me tell you, it was extra yummalicious (lunch just keeps getting better and better). There are just so many different flavors and (somehow) they go together quite swell.

There's the kick of spice from the curry couscous, (sweet) sweet potatoes, creamy hummus, and some freshness from the arugula and tomatoes. I told you, I've been watching too much Masterchef. I topped it all off with the cilantro jalapeño hummus I had in the fridge, but you could easily just top it off with a drizzle of olive oil since there's already so much going on! I reckon tzatziki would go great with this as well.

Healthy ingredients are the worst, right?!


The best part about this is that you can probably find most of it in your pantry. I didn't even have flour for the patties so I found the next best thing (some grains I ground up in the blender) to compromise (or I'm just a genius). And even if you don't have everything in your kitchen already, it's very inexpensive to make––even here in Norway, where everything costs a BUTTLOAD.

I try to make my food look pretty and more expensive than it actually is (I really try), but this is a piece of cake for a quick meal. Plus, you can make the sweet potato mix ahead of time and just cook it when you want some more! So next time you're about to make a PB&J for lunch, try this instead. It won't disappoint!


Sweet Potato Cakes & Curry Couscous Bowl


serves 3-4  |  ready in: 10-15 min


Ingredients:

Sweet Potato Cakes:
1 sweet potato
1/2 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
1 egg
1 cup flour (of your choice)
1 tsp sea salt 
1 tbs cumin (optional) 

Curry Couscous (or rice):
*2 cup couscous (or rice)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbs red curry paste
olive oil

Bowl:
sweet potato cakes
curry couscous
1 cup arugula
8 cherry tomatoes (chopped)
Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus (or olive oil or other dressing)
cilantro & basil 

Directions:

For the sweet potato cakes, first peel and chop sweet potato into small chunks. Pulse in a food processor or blender (if using a blender, make sure the pieces small). Add rice and blend together. If it's not completely minced, that's fine, add the egg and it should help blend everything together until it's smooth. Next, mix in a bowl with the flour, adding it gradually. The mixture should still be very wet, we're not looking for a dough (don't use all the flour if you don't need to). Mix in cumin and salt.

Heat olive oil in a pan. Make small cakes or balls with mixture and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. If you like the outside with a bit of a crunch (like me!), allow it to crisp a little longer.

I use a "quick" couscous, so if you have a different kind, follow those instructions instead. In a pot or deep pan, bring coconut milk and water to a simmer. Add red curry paste and stir until dissolved. Add couscous to a bowl, then pour in hot coconut mixture. Cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes.

Bowl assembly time! Start with couscous, then add arugula, tomatoes, hummus and garnish with cilantro and basil leaves. If you aren't using hummus, simply drizzle with extra virgin olive oil or any other dressing that pleases your taste buds. Enjoy!


The couscous I have in my pantry is a "quick" couscous that only takes a few minutes to cook (not the Israeli couscous I wish I had). If you're using a different kind, adjust cooking as you need, but you should still be able to add curry!
You can also substitute rice for couscous, simply cook the rice and add the warm coconut mixture and mix!





No comments

Post a Comment

© Elegantly Improvised
Maira Gall