Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Chopped Pita Salad with Tzatziki

        Aside from doing nothing all summer, I’ve been watching a lot of Masterchef––so I haven’t been bumming completely. After watching master chefs cook up mouth watering dishes (which is more torturous than anything), a plain ham and cheese sandwich simply won’t do. BUT, it’s fantastically inspiring! So all problems solved, right?

If there’s one thing I can absolute gush over, it’s pita bread. I could sit at a table with countless dips and warm pita bread for all 6 meals in my day. Watching the little discs get puffy in the oven just warms my heart. Then my belly.

I just love salads, they’re so refreshing and they make me feel so healthy. But salad with PITA BREAD? And tzatziki? Oh lord. It’s such a good feeling to look forward to something delicious and not have to say that it’s going to be the death of you. Chocolate’s going to hold the title to my death, I’m sure… but that’s not the point.

To make this you can practically add any vegetables you’d like as long as they’re nice and fresh. I also added some mozzarella and brie to the mix, which, can I tell you, tastes amazing. You can also go with shredded feta. I have a thing for Brie. It sounds more like a bread or sandwich cheese, but I’m going to put it on anything I can make it work with. Big thumbs up on this one. 
Enjoy the end of summer with refreshing and HEALTHY. It’s not quite summer here in Norway, but summery dishes always make it feel a little more so. Everyone here flips out and screams “TROPICAL WEATHER” when it hits 75º. Then they jumps in the ice bath that’s disguised as the ocean and say it’s nice. Vikings, am I right?


Recipe

Serves 2-3

4 cups mixed greens (romaine, arugula, spinach)
2 pita breads
6 asparagus stalks
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup radishes
half an English cucumber
1/4 cup mozzarella 
1/4 cup brie
1/4 cup basil
1/4 cup coriander 
1/2 cup tzatziki

olive oil, salt, pepper

Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill for 2-3 minutes, then cut into thirds or fourths. Chop up the tomatoes, radishes, and cucumbers. Cube the mozzarella and brie (brie can be sliced as well). Roughly chop basil and coriander. Add everything together in bowl.

Toast pita bread on stove, about a minute on each side. Cut into bite size pieces and add to salad. I added a tablespoon of olive oil to tzatziki, but it’s not necessary. Top salad with tzatziki. 










No comments

Post a Comment

© Elegantly Improvised
Maira Gall