Tuesday, August 9, 2016

5 Books to Read Before School Starts


Books have this magical power of bringing us out of reality and into some world that engulfs our minds and freezes time. I've found that just a little reading everyday (for pleasure of course) can brighten your mood and help destress. With work and school, it sometimes feels impossible to fit in 15 minutes to read, but I assure you that squeezing in the time is completely worth it. 


Something you might not know about me is that I used to hate reading. Hated it. In fact, I despised it with a passion and wouldn't pick up a book for the life of me. I really don't know why, school might have had something to do with it. 

Then there came a time when I thought, "if I'm going to write novels, I should probably read them too." So I sucked it up and started reading. Then I fell in love with it, obviously. I remember hiding my book from my mom, then one day in the car she spotted it in my bag and gasped while pointing at it. She'd been trying to convince me to read for basically my whole life but I would never give in. You can imagine the pleasure she got out of that.

I'm a total sucker for novels with a kick of romance. No, not full-blown, mushy gushy romance, just a kick. There should be a genre dedicated to "a kick of romance." I should create that genre and make it big. (There already is, Song, it's called a sub-genre...). But I believe it should have its own shelf.

You probably this I'm a total mess... and I am, but back to the books.

These are 5 of my favorite books (excluding John Green) that make me love reading. They're those novels that, when you finish reading them, you don't know if you could ever read another book because it was just that good. Do you ever feel like that? Like there is nothing more because there's no book that could possibly be better. And those are the best books. The ones that you stay up until the wee hours of the morning reading. They're also the kind of books that make me want to write (all the inspiration!).

So before you get too busy this fall, try picking up one of these. You can also go check out some of my other favorites on Goodreads.


How to Kill a Rockstar by Tiffanie Debartolo

Oh goodness, where do I start. Maybe it's because I've read this most recently, but I think this is my favorite book. I read it in a day. 

It's about the music industry and it also has a love story, but it's definitely not traditional. They're rockstars. There's so much angst and emotion in this novel and it is utterly HILARIOUS. The voices of the two main characters, Eliza and Paul, just flow so well and it's perfectly well-paced. 

And the ending is insane. 


Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Okay, this is arguably a "romance" but hear me out (plus, who said that was a bad thing). If you don't know yet, it's about a girl who is hired to take care of a quadriplegic and you can kind of guess where it goes from there. 

There's no way to really explain it, but it's both predictable and unpredictable (in a great way, don't get me wrong). It's actually not over the top romantic, if you don't like that sort of thing, but you still get that war, hopeful feeling. I'm not going to lie, I cried. I've never cried whilst reading a book. In fact, I was dumb enough to read this in a cafe and had to turn against the wall while I turned the pages and hid tears. 

But go read it, it's very good!


The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

I actually ended up reading this in two day, just because someone had lent it to me and I had no choice but to finish it. Which isn't the only reason I sped through it, it was very a good read (or why would I recommend it?). 

If you liked Gone Girl, you'll love this too. I don't want to give anything away, but this is a true mystery novel (and it isn't romantic!). If I'm being honest, everyone in it is completely mad. It jumps through time so you have to pay close attention to the dates and whose point of view each chapter is written in. At the end everything just hits you hard and all the little pointless things you read about before suddenly make sense and it's amazing! (and messed up). 



Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


I also love YA novels, so if young adult isn't your thing, you might find this cliche. Anna and the French Kiss is set in Paris (could you guess?) and it is just brilliant. 

It's about a teenage girl who gets sent off to boarding school overseas for her senior year of high school and meets a perfect British/American/French boy named Etienne. It definitely captures to feeling of falling in love while also experiencing the beautiful city of Paris. 

The characters here also show up in another great novel called Lola and the Boy Next Door, which is equally amazing.


The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau 


I had to throw in a dystopian, just because it has a special place in my heart. This trilogy is actually probably my favorite and I'm surprised it's not more popular. It has clear influences of both The Hunger Games and Divergent, but it is definitely its own name. 

The Testing is set in the Midwest after the 7 stages war which destroyed practically everything (sound dystopian yet?). Only a handful of students are selected to join the testing at a chance at attending university, which turns out to be quite deadly. And if you were wondering, this also has "a kick of romance," and it is wonderful. 

I love the characters and the story involved in this and yes, I finished the book in a day. Along with the second and third novel following this one, which were both reading in single days. If you're into dystopian and post-apocolyptic, this might be my favorite one. 















No comments

Post a Comment

© Elegantly Improvised
Maira Gall